Headed out to a snowy location this winter? I personally grew up in Pennsylvania and our winters were full of snowy days! I still enjoy skiing and other outdoor winter activities, but the novelty of snow has most worn off for me as I now enjoy the sunnier more temperate winter days here.
Sometimes, I feel sad that my kids will never know the pure joy of snow days and sledding in the backyard with the whole neighborhood. But luckily, I can let them experience snow for a weekend and then I can go home to enjoy the warm Bay Area winter.
For those you are find snow a bit foreign or maybe this is your first trip taking your kids to visit the snow, packing could be daunting. Let's face it, you just need to bring so much more when you are visiting a cold destination versus and hot one. But no worries, we've compiled a list of things your kids need for a snowy getaway!
- Layers, layers, layers! 3 upper layers (waterproof jacket, turtleneck, long underwear, etc) and 2 bottom layers (long underwear and snow pants) are recommended. Do not be tempted to over-layer, because your kids can easily get too hot when playing, sledding or skiing. Consider purchasing coats or snow pants that have zipper vents that can be opened to let in air when your kids get too hot.
- Snow boots are a must! Unfortunately, sneakers or even rain boots just don't the job as well as snow boots.
- Wool socks- they do not absorb wetness like cotton ones can.
- Sunscreen- even though it's cold, you can still get quite the sunburn in the snow. The sun reflects off the snow and the rays are strong!
- Lipbalm for those little chapped lips.
- Hand and foot warmers- These do the trick when it's extra cold or help your kids warm up at the start of your activity.
- Ski googles or sunglasses- ski googles are necessary if it is snowing.
- Neck warmer- These can be pulled up and down for extra protection from the cold.
- Mittens for smaller children or gloves for children ages 6 and up.
- Beanie or ear warmers- consider a helmet, if kids are skiing
- Energizing snacks! You burn a lot of calories during winter fun so make sure you have adequate food to fill those little bellies.
Hopefully this list isn't too intimidating and you still venture out this winter and enjoy a snowy getaway. Not many things are more magical to little ones then a day in the snow!