Three years ago, I thought I had it made. I worked from home as a business coach for entrepreneurs all over the US. When I got pregnant with my son, I got walloped by the reality that I wanted to be home with him full-time. I never knew I would want that!
I had no idea who I was anymore. I was proud of my identity as a career woman. I had put off having children and assumed I would be the mom I aspired to be, and work at the same time. I was right and wrong.
So, I quit my job and stayed home with my son for a year. It was a wonderful experience, and yet, I craved more. I wanted a project that was all my own that would allow me to express other forms of my creativity in addition to mothering my son, so I launched my own boutique consulting firm.
Most of the moms I meet share that they have a (not-so) secret desire to start a business from home that makes them feel great AND provides them with the flexibility they need and the profits that they need or want. If you feel some excitement about this topic, listen to that because the energy you need for actually launching your idea is contained in this initial excitement!
Here are my best tips for taking who you are and what you already know, and turning that into a business.
- Write down every job you have ever had, include volunteering, babysitting, being a mom and dog walking as well.
- Write down every task associated with that job.
- Circle your favorite jobs/tasks.
- Write down all of your education. Focus on what you loved most in school (classes, etc.) Don’t get hung up on if you finished a degree or not.
- List your favorite hobbies (now and in the recent past).
- Write a “dream” job description based on your favorite jobs/education/hobbies, doing EXACTLY what you love.
- Call yourself a consultant doing (insert what you listed in #4)!
- Read the dream job description out loud. How does it sound? Write in your journal how it would make you feel if you could do the dream job in a flexible way that allowed you as much time with your child(ren) as you desire.
- Find a friend you can bounce these ideas off of.
- For any business you decide to launch, you have an important decision to make. Ask yourself these questions:
- “Why do I want to start a business now?”
- “How do I want to feel each day?”
- “How much do I want to work each day?”
- “How much money do I want/need to earn?”
The answers to the questions above will be VERY important for your success. Good luck!
Flesché Hesch is a full-time Mama and Business Advisor for Moms. She brings her training as a Meditation Teacher, Marriage and Family Therapist, and Small Business Coach and Strategist together to create a positive and empowering coaching program. Learn more at http://TheBizyMom.com